Following the presidential election, I became immediately motivated to take action to show support of people threatened by intentionally threatening campaign rhetoric. I noticed on Facebook that there was a Women's March planned in DC the day after the inauguration. A couple days after that, a sister-event in Topeka, Kansas showed up and I thought "I can do that." A few days after that, feeling like I wanted to do more, I created a Facebook event arranging a caravan from Emporia in hopes of providing transportation for people who may not otherwise have it. Shortly after that, I thought "The Skirts have to take our music to this event." Even if we wouldn't have been invited, we planned to take our instruments and make music wherever we could. In early December, The Skirts played a concert in Lawrence organized by our own fiddle player, Rachel Allai, benefiting the Money Bridge Project. During the planning of that event, Rachel met Terry Manies and that night she told us we needed to come to Topeka sometime. Mid-December Terry recommended us to the organizers of the Women's March and my communication with Susan Christensen began. We were so honored that the organizers, a group of newly connected individuals, would like us to officially perform for the event. Each of the members of the band strongly identifies with the intention of the Women's March and we knew our music would set a tone of peace and harmony at an event and during a time when so many marginalized populations and allies are feeling uneasy and concerned, to put it lightly. We are also obviously concerned, but as many of the speakers noted today, we must not allow the new leadership of our nation to drive us towards hate and division. Today was an absolutely incredible experience. I am truly humbled by the opportunity. We have been looking forward to this event for the last two months and now we get to cherish the memory of this experience. What is most exciting right now, is remembering that this was only the beginning of the unification of diverse groups of people, all of whom have commonalities regardless of their differences. I truly believe we all want the same basic rights, and today I got to stand on the steps of the Capitol with my sisters and show I want those same basic rights for EVERYONE. I am so grateful for all the previous generations of people who have stood up and showed our government and governing bodies around the world what the people want through peaceful actions. We brought songs today that have been used to express discourse since the civil rights demonstrations of our parents' generation. I am so thankful for their guidance. Since the election, I've heard too many baby boomers say "we though we'd accomplished more than this." But they made great strides towards equality and paved the way for us to continue the work.
After-Afterthoughts:
Today we changed the world.
The last time I felt like this was after I rode the DK100.
Now that our shadows are showing themselves clearly they may being to be healed.
An older friend took my best friend and I to KC see AniDiFranco when we were 15 years old. It was a beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment