Friday, December 16, 2016

Careers

I can't even spell it. One r here, another one there. I want there to be two in the middle. 

I had this thought today that careers are another aspect of our culture in need of drastic reform. I started watching a series recommend by a freshman girl called The 100. It's cheesey and made for teenagers and I'm hooked. Future. Post nuclear disaster. Humans fled to a space station. Three years later attempting to return to Earth. And this particular character caught my attention. A woman. A doctor. Who is also overseeing the Earth mission from above while fighting tyranny and trying to ensure the safety of her daughter. Capable of performing surgery to save someone from a bullet wound as well as secure the future of the human race. 

A month or so ago I was sitting with diverse a group of high school freshman listening to the tech college power plant instructor promote his program. He especially encouraged the girls to consider the field because it is in dire need of differing perspectives. He references a group of guy who Allah tee up together working together at a coal plant. When there is a problem, they all attempt to solve it in a similar fashion. Which isn't a very god way to solve problems. 

We must become or regain our Divergence. 

We cannot limit ourselves by committing ourselves entirely to one job, task, or skill. We are humans. We can do anything. And we may very well be required to do more soon. 

PS
I love my job, but it's only one part of who I am and what I am capable of doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment